As you all remember, we had a hunch about Friday the 13th 6 years ago. We got married on that day, and despite all of you that thought our marriage would be cursed and doomed because of this, we knew it was going to be a lucky day, so now we are proving you all wrong!
Yesterday's Friday the 13th almost did live to it's reputation, however. In fact, it started out pretty darn shitty. You see, I had this little painful lump on my boob that reared its ugly head last week. My optimism that it was nothing serious went out the window last Tuesday when my doctor said that it looked "suspicious", and then went on to tell his story of how his wife was also 40, no family history, and had a cancerous lump that "came out of nowhere".
Hmmmm, so where does that leave a patient? It leaves her sick with worry all week about her shortened life, how she is going to break the news to the her poor, future motherless son that he is not going to get his baby sister, and sleepless nights planning on where her ashes are going to be spread.
The mammogram/ultrasound was the WORST! Mind you, I had not slept for 4 days by that time, so when the ultra sound tech and doctor had these confused looks while looking at the u/s screen, and then they start talking about that "large mass" and finding that "flagged lymph node".... there was nothing to hold me back. It happened. That from the gut, vomit it out, can't catch the breath, snot floweth to mouth, ugly cry. "IT'S REALLY REALLY BAD, ISN'T IT!?!"
Here's when the day started to get lucky....
First lucky thing:
(gasp) "Oh no! We are so sorry! Did we not tell you that it is just a cyst? It is absolutely not bad and we are so sorry we made you lay there (for 15 minutes) so stressed when we knew this all along!" (thanks a lot you PROFESSIONALS in a line of work where being sensitive to the the subject matter should be like 99% of your job!) Luckily, it was just a cyst that somehow got infected. They biopsied it and said it looked fine. The infection is what most likely caused my lymph node to be a little inflamed.
Second lucky thing:
I walked out of the clinic and the sun was shining, the flowers blooming, the birds were singing (I swear it was a thunderstorm when I walked in), and while skipping to my car and "YAHOOING!" to Husband on the phone, I hear the other line clicking in.
Guess who it was? Remember that little show we applied to a while back.... HGTV!?!?! It was the producer leaving a message! Fast forward to the next day (after a night of guzzling champagne with our dear friends to celebrate the first lucky thing), I talked with the producer on the phone for a good 15 minutes. I am a little bit confused about if we are really going to get picked to get HGTV'd, but we must pretty darn close by the amount of questions and information we've been sharing. She said she would get back to me in about 3 weeks "for the next step", so I will be keeping you all posted for sure!
The funniest thing (and the one reason that may put the brakes on us not getting picked) is that the questionnaire, applications, and producer's question centered around our "fantasy space" for our family room. All who knows us know that our creativity amounts to about that of putting a stick in some mud.
So, any suggestions? We want a rockin' family space, so what do you think? So far, my suggested themes are along the line of a space ship room, ski lodge, desert spa, an aquarium wall, a built in petting zoo, a mad scientist lab, and trapeze bars hanging from the beams. Can anyone top those?
In conclusion, the second luckiest thing does not REALLY matter (but would be cool as hell!), because what really matters is the first thing. My health. Our health. Our family. Our new home. Our future daughter. All the other million little things that we have to be thankful for. HGTV is a super exciting prospect in our lives, and if all this experience is going to end up being is a fun distraction from our constant lamenting over our delayed adoption, then so-be-it. It is fun and really helping us look at the bright side of life for a while!
1 comment:
Jen, I am so sorry for your experience! I too have had suspicious lumps, shadows and pain, not just oce but twice. Thankfully the doctors were not as insensitive. This last one was extremely sensitive (female doctor!) What it says to me is that I must NEVER skip my yearly mamogram and make sure that I pay close attention to changes. Ben said he would be happy to monitor the situation for me!I am so glad that it was nothing serious!
Post a Comment