Thursday, March 3, 2011

My little wild thing!

This is the sweet face that I have been viewing from my sick bed. He is usually telling me to feel better, that he loves me, and if he can have another carton of ice cream - usually in that order. Those sleepy eyes and dimpled grin melts my heart and then wraps it around his pinky every time (and yes, he did get that ice-cream).

My crazed boy after 10 hours of his first solo adventure (and two cartons of ice cream)!

I promised a more upbeat post next, so here it goes by summing up our last 72 hours. It might even be hilarious in that I am only able to blog when my very strong pain killers kick in, so if I am writing a lot of gobbled-goop, please realize that you might be reading the words from my drugged out alter ego!

The Kid has been the most unscathed by all of this and feels fine. My strep has turned into some respiratory secondary thing, so I am pretty much living in my bed. Husband is in the guest room across the hall in his separate bed also bed ridden because, well, he is a man that is sick... enough said. We are in separate beds so we can thrash from our body aches without kung-fuing the other. In order to take care of the kid, we take shifts. I sleep for 2 hours while husband listens for cries of distress, then we switch.

Because we need to keep the Kid alive with the basics, we have resorted to desperate measures. I pulled out all of our edibles that are non-chokables, lined them up on the same shelf in the fridge with child scissors (to cut open packaging), and told him to "go for it" when hungry. Just "Eat whatever and whenever!". I then looped Despicable Me (think it is on it's 6th run of the day) and literally dumped his toy box in the living room. The kid's eyes were like saucers when I announced this plan of his soloness. I think this might have been better news to him than, "We are going to Disney Land!".

I was on my second shift of alertness when I ventured into the living room for the first time, and I swear I walked into a scene from Lord of the Flies. The Kid was shirtless, and in his pirate pants with a plastic sword. His face was painted and he was running around his make-shift fort, jumping over empty cartons of yogurt cups, ice cream, apple cores, and scattered Annies crackers and gummies. He had this wild look in his eyes like he has been on this solo adventure, between life and death, for days on end .... and, well, he sort of has been.







No comments: