Saturday, August 28, 2010

Thank you, friends

**Note: There is a funny yellow highlighted section in this blog. I have NO idea what it is or how it got there, so don't pay much attention.


Husband and I often comment to each other just how how fortunate we are to have friends that have been so supportive during our adoption journey. They may not understand why we are adopting and why Ethiopia, or they might not even agree with it all, but what matters to us is that they have created an environment in which Husband and I can safely and openly talk about our adoption - including our joys and fears. They have not let their personal opinions stand in the way (or even particularly voiced them), rather they've accept that we are doing this because it is what we want and that they are going to make this journey beside us as our support system. All we can say from the bottom of our heart is, "Thank you, thank you, thank you."

Because there are 100+ people to thank (and we appreciate you all!), for the sake of blog space, I am just going to highlight a few that have offered words that have profoundly touched us and have either helped us make pivotal decisions or totally boosted our confidence. In all seriousness, I am highly doubtful that we would be so close to having our daughter if it were not for you all.

Erica (Ben): She was the first friend that I talked to after that life changing day that I googled ET adoption for the first time. They are great friends. Great enough, in fact, that it was around this time last year that we were entertaining their offer to be our surrogate parents. Beyond amazing, I know. Erica has spent extensive time in Africa, so I will also be seeking her guidance in our travels. Her words that remain with me are, "You'll see, this child will be a gift and enrich the lives of people surrounding you in ways you do not understand yet."


Courtney: The best friend one could ever dream of! There is not one conversation in general - just everything she says is absolutely the right thing and I have always felt better after talking to her. And even after that, I can often count on a card in the mail a few days later with words of encouragement.

"Book club" gals: Even though we don't get together often and don't dedicate the time we have to adoption talk, knowing I have an enthusiastic "audience" to share big news with has been priceless. Becca, Merideth, and Erica, thanks so much for sharing in my first local ET dining experience! In particular, thank you so much, Becca, for your enthusiasm and being our girl clothes collector.

Jonah: She has been such a great support, willing to listen, and letting me learn from her knowledge. The Kid loves all of the cool African books, too! She is also one to say, "I couldn't do it again at our age....", but still doesn't try to discourage - rather encourage - us for the fact that we are. That is huge to me. Thanks!

Kristen: Despite the hell she has experienced this last year with her health, she has unselfishly always started the conversation by, "How is the adoption going?" One day she started crying when I was taking about the experience I anticipate when I get to hold her and then bring her home. I then went home and cried. The sincerity of that moment was one that won't leave me. Oh, and she was also the first one to donate some girl clothes early in the process and that sea of pink totally helped me get into "girl mode"!

Cori: I love her insight because there are so many things similar - such as our ages and the spacing of our children, and the difficulties we've faced to get them. I was freaking out about the stress of "age + baby = zero confidence", and that when I've shared this with others, I've recieved feedback of discouraged in continuing with our adoption. She basically told me nonsense and then proceeded to tell me about how she was feeling this way when pregnant with #2 (at age 40), but that much of my (our) physical effects are from the stress of the "what if... when... who will she be.... will this happen.... how can we...?" and that the stress of a new baby won't be in addition to what I feel now - rather the "what if" stress will be gone and replaced by the normal sleepless nights of the baby rearing kind. "Your family will be complete and that will be HUGE on the psyche." I thank her for helping me see it that way because she was so right and I feel much better.

Work friends (especially Kelli, Awbree, & Julia): They were with me at work 7 hours a day for those few months when my mind was literally numb during the transition from Taiwan to Ethiopia. My emotions were also in flux because I was experiencing the loss of my dear grandfather and a friend during that time. Even though they may not of understood the internal immensity of it all, that was one of the most pivotal times of my life. The support they gave me literally got me through the days and kept me looking forward!

Beckie: Okay, she is totally going to laugh if she ever reads this because we are old high school buddies that have since only talked about three times this year when I have either emailed or stopped by her shop for cupcakes (http://www.twoqueenbeesconfiserie.blogspot.com/ .. please check it out people.... wonderful store). Regardless, they have built a mixed race family through adoption and not only was she willing to share her personal experience, but she gave me a contact to another woman that I emailed. If I had not talked with Beckie and gained the insight I did, I highly doubt we would have started looking into ET.

Miss M. : I look forward to highlighting her in a future post, but she is a remarkable student that literally walked into my classroom the week we were (terrifyingly) submitting our ET adoption. At 15, she had just been adopted from ET. We had this instant bond and have both loved learning from each other (equally teachers in different ways). She is also going to be my hair coach. :)

No comments: