Friday, July 16, 2010

Zenfulness


My good friend, Jonah, lent me this book a few weeks ago. I had taken an inopportune time to boo-hoo her my story regarding the fact that just a few hours before our swimming playdate, I had nearly snapped the steering wheel in half, taught The Kid 10 new swear words - all the while my eyes bulged out of socket and head spun around a few times. He had relentlessly questioned me as to why Chucky Cheese has "Cheese" for his last name. This took place during a 100 degree, 30 minute bumper-to-bumper traffic jam. "Oh no, mom, Cheese cannot be a real last name. TELL ME THE TRUTH! WHY?! WHY?! WHY?!" Of course, while taking a break from retelling Jonah the story to wipe my snots, I had to also go into how guilty I felt about being that kind of terrible mother that occasionally blows her top. This then carried over to stating every adoption fear known to mankind, the fact that I am getting older by the minute, my negative body image (was wearing a swimsuit during my sobfest... baaaad timing), thinking I can actually feel gray hairs growing out of my head, wrinkles, stained teeth, why does Coke Zero have to taste so good, how do those Peppermint Patty's manage to sneak into my mouth each day, the infamous Utah inversion, who killed the electric car anyway (?), global warming in general, why I can't seem to keep a plant alive, bad people, the economy, death, and blahdy-blahdy-blah (okay, so maybe I only verbalized a few of these thoughts - but surely you are getting the drift as to where my mind was at). She listened like a good friend does and then responded by telling me that I had to get this book from her ASAP. After reading the first few chapters, I found myself on the computer ordering a keeper for myself and even a few extra for friends. This book has invaluable reminders of how to step back from the turmoils of life - rambunctious kid, students who would rather stab me with their pens then write a paragraph (actually, they have attempted), and the trials of adoption - and calming myself by finding that inner peace through reflection. I have tried a few suggestions from the book and am pleased with the results. I think those Buddhists are on to something!

No comments: